Saturday, March 29, 2014

Spring Silkmoths

This year I'm enjoying being nearly overrun by silkmoths; in past years, I usually only had three or four different species, but this year I decided to get a wide range and wound up with 1-3 cocoons each of ten species!  I've had four moths emerge in the past three days, and spent some time photographing them last night and this morning.  I have had 8 moths emerge so far this year, and have 11 more that should emerge between now and the end of April.  These species are mostly from the eastern half of North America, although the Rothschildia and Eupackardia species are from southern Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, south into Mexico.  Last November, I posted a photo of several of the cocoons I purchased (see here).  I ordered a few more after that.
All of these moths do not feed as adults, therefore they only live for about a week, just long enough to mate and lay eggs.  I always feel a little bad about putting these in the freezer after a day or two, but the reason I do this is twofold: 1) so I can photograph the cocoons and live adults and 2) so I have perfect specimens and can show people all the different kinds of cocoons and how beautiful moths can be.  It always surprises people to be told that these are moths, as many think of little brown things buzzing around a lamp, rather than such a large and colorful bug.
What has emerged so far:
February 15 - Hyalophora cecropia Cecropia Moth, male
March 9 - Automeris io Io Moth, male
March 12 - Automeris io Io Moth, female
March 18 - Actias luna Luna Moth, male
March 26 - Rothschildia lebeau forbesi Lebeau's Silkmoth, female
March 28 - Eupackardia calleta Calleta Silkmoth, female
March 28 - Actias luna Luna Moth, male
March 29 - Callosamia promethea Promethea Silkmoth, male
What is left to emerge:
Hyalophora cecropia Cecropia Moth x1
Callosamia promethea Promethea Silkmoth x1
Samia cynthia Cynthia Moth x2
Rothschildia cincta Cincta Silkmoth x1
Rothschildia lebeau forbesi Lebeau's Silkmoth x2
Eupackardia calleta Calleta Silkmoth x2
Agapema homogena Rocky Mountain Agapema x1
Eacles imperialis Yellow Emperor x1
Rothschildia lebeau forbesi - Lebeau's Silkmoth, female
Rothschildia lebeau forbesi - Lebeau's Silkmoth, female (underside)
Rothschildia lebeau forbesi - Lebeau's Silkmoth, female
Rothschildia lebeau forbesi - Lebeau's Silkmoth, female
Eupackardia calleta - Calleta Silkmoth, female
Eupackardia calleta - Calleta Silkmoth, female (underside)
Eupackardia calleta - Calleta Silkmoth, female
Actias luna - Luna Moth, male
Callosamia promethea - Promethea Silkmoth, male
Callosamia promethea - Promethea Silkmoth, male
Having fun with my silkmoths!

1 comment:

  1. Planning a June trip to the Ellensburg area and I'm enjoying all the great information on your site. And since I often find myself overrun by silkmoths, I'm enjoying this page also! Let me know if you ever want to do some ova or cocoon trading! Species I've been keeping: http://jaspersailfin.zenfolio.com/f56354102
    --John

    ReplyDelete